How do I prepare for a graduate assistantship interview?
Be prepared to discuss at length your background in the field, including research concentrations, journal articles, or teaching experience. Before your interview, be sure to familiarize yourself with the professor’s areas of expertise.”
Do graduate assistants get free housing?
Landing a graduate assistantship typically means you receive a tuition waiver (or partial wavier depending on the program), healthcare coverage, and a stipend of some kind. Other more well funded or high demand graduate assistantship programs will even offer housing and meal allowances.
How do I write a cover letter for a graduate assistant?
Cover Letter Tips State why you’re excited about the job and the company, and how the job matches your career goals. In one or two paragraphs, connect your past accomplishments with the requirements listed in the job description. Focus on your most relevant experience, qualifications and skills.
What questions do they ask in a graduate school interview?
Grad School Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to study at our school?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- If accepted, what will be your biggest challenge here?
- How has your professional experience (or education) prepared you to succeed in this program?
- What are your career goals?
What are the benefits of being a graduate assistant?
A graduate assistantship helps students pay for grad school through a combination of tuition waivers and cash compensation. The position also might offer worker benefits such as health insurance, housing and meal plans, although the terms vary by school and by position.
What is assistant school graduate?
To provide graduate students with part-time, paid work experiences in their field of study, and allow them to expand and/or apply their discipline knowledge and skills under supervision. …
Is being a graduate assistant worth it?
A graduate assistantship position is largely invaluable due to the academic/practical work experience and the networking benefits you’ll gain. That said, many graduate assistantships offer a tuition waiver plus a monetary stipend.
What should I ask a grad student?
Ask current grad students:
- How intense are classes/exams? (hrs/week?)
- Do you feel there is a collaborative environment with other students?
- Is there a “central” study area? Or do students mostly work in their offices?
- How many classes are typical per semester/term?
- What kind of electives do students take?