How do I update VIO server?
Follow the below steps to update the VIO Server.
- Take the configuration backup and mksysb or alternate disk back.
- Break the rootvg mirror and take the clone for quick rollback.
- Remove the all interim fixes and commit the filesets in current version.
- Mount the packages downloaded NFS filesystem.
What is VIO server in AIX?
Virtual I/O (VIO) server is a virtualization technology by IBM. A Virtual I/O server is a logical partition (LPAR) that runs a trimmed-down version of the AIX operating system. Virtual I/O servers have APV support, which allows sharing of physical I/O resources between virtual I/O clients.
How do I check my LPAR VIO server details?
How to find out the vio server details from vio client on AIX 5.3…
- Simply executing the kdb command on the aix prompt. # kdb.
- Load the cvscsi autoload function (note: this function is already loaded by default on AIX 6.1 systems.) 0> cvscsi.
- Then we can check the vscsi adapter details, using the cvai function:
How do I find my VIO version?
The first step is to check your current level on the VIO server. Login as padmin and type in ioslevel. It will show something like 2.2. 2.2, 2.2.
What is the latest version of Vios?
REALLY NEW NEWS – May 2020. VIOS 2.2. 6.61 – The latest VIOS 2.2. 6 version is always the recommended version to upgrade to get to 3.1.
How do I backup my Vios?
To take the backup of the VIOS image, click Create Backup. In the Create Backup window, select the managed system and the VIOS for which the back up is created, and then specify a name for the backup file. The name you specify must consist of 1 – 40 characters including file extension .
What is called VIO server?
A VIO server is a virtual I/O server that can be used to virtualize resources on a physical POWER machine. VIO server supports creation of virtual networks, virtual SCSI (disks/storage), NPIV (Again Storage), etc.
What is LPAR and VIO?
Lpars are virtual systems created on POWER systems from IBM. Lpars run their own OS and run independently from other LPARs on the same iron. A vios is a lpar with a dedicated task: providing virtual storage devices to other LPARs. Depending on your needs you will install at least 1 vios and multiple lpars.
How do I map a disk from VIO to LPAR?
- LPAR Get the LPAR number. Get the disk name. Get the slot number based on the vscsi device.
- HMC Get VIOS slot number. Get VIOS number.
- VIOS Use VIOS slot number to get the vhost. Show disks which are being mapped to the vhost which you discovered.
What is Vscsi in AIX?
VIRTUAL SCSI. Virtual SCSI is based on a client/server relationship. The Virtual I/O Server owns the physical resources and acts as server or, in SCSI terms, target device. The client logical partitions access the virtual SCSI backing storage devices provided by the Virtual I/O Server as clients.
How do I map a disk to VIO client?
- Find out the slot number of the vscsi.
- Find out the VIO server associated with the lpar using HMC.
- Find out the vhost assigned for the lpar.
- Find out the free disk /unassigned disk on the vios which needs to be mapped.
- Changing the attributes (reserve_policy and health check ) of the disk before mapping.
What is vSCSI in AIX?
How do I set up a Vio server?
If you intend to build your VIO server from CD or DVD, assign the drive as needed. Select the VIO server, and click Operations > Activate. Click Advanced and choose SMS for the Boot mode. Select the check box to open a terminal screen. If you are installing from a CD or DVD, insert the disc and have the server boot from it within SMS.
What is the VIO user ID and commands?
The VIO user ID and commands. Instead of using the root user ID to issue commands, an administrative user ID— padmin —is used for all of the VIO controls. This user ID has a shell called the IOS command-line interface (ioscli) that runs a unique set of commands for managing devices assigned to the VIO servers.
How can I see the specific flags and syntax of Vio commands?
If you pass a specific command into it, such as help updateios, you can see the specific flags and syntax for that command. cfgdev: This command is the equivalent of the cfgmgr command and detects new physical and logical devices added to the VIO server.
How to check disk identifier matching between client and Vios?
NOTE: The more reliable way to see identifier’s matching between the disks of the client and vios is the unique_id method : [aix_7.1test:root:/home/root:]> odmget -q “name=hdisk4” CuAt |grep -p unique