What is a meaning of article?
Britannica Dictionary definition of ARTICLE. [count] 1. : a piece of writing about a particular subject that is included in a magazine, newspaper, etc. a magazine/newspaper article.
How do you use articles?
English has two articles: the and a/an. The is used to refer to specific or particular nouns; a/an is used to modify non-specific or non-particular nouns. We call the the definite article and a/an the indefinite article. For example, if I say, “Let’s read the book,” I mean a specific book.
Why are articles used?
Articles are used before nouns or noun equivalents and are a type of adjective. The definite article (the) is used before a noun to indicate that the identity of the noun is known to the reader. The indefinite article (a, an) is used before a noun that is general or when its identity is not known.
How can I use article in a sentence?
Article sentence example
- The newspaper included a photo with the article about the wreck.
- Dean recalled reading the same article in his copy.
- Snails are reared in some parts of the country as an article of food, those of Burgundy being specially esteemed.
- Fred perused the article .
How do you teach articles?
- Tip #1. Use a/an/ø with general nouns.
- Tip #2. Use the with specific nouns.
- Tip #3. Use an nefore words that begin with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) and a before words that begin with a consonant.
- Tip #4. Use the when there is only one of something.
- Tip #5. Use the when it’s the second mention of the noun.
- Tip #6.
When to use a an or the?
Does an article introduce a noun?
Option B – ‘An’ is used before a word that starts with a vowel sound.
Which article and noun combination is correct?
Article usage with a proper noun is affected by more than whether the noun uses a singular or plural form. Proper nouns in a singular form infrequently use articles. For example, you would not use an article with the following singular proper nouns: Thursday, Geography 1301, Coffman Union. Proper nouns in a plural form frequently use the.
What are 10 examples of proper nouns?
John Cena is a good wrestler.
What words are articles?
Names of languages and nationalities: Chinese,English,Spanish,Russian (unless you are referring to the population of the nation: ” The Spanish are known for their warm hospitality.”)